Wednesday, September 30, 2009

About time!


I just read in the Telegraph that David Cameron is hinting that if elected, the Tories will not seek a Lisbon Treaty referendum...under certain conditions.

The Treaty has to be ratified by all other EU countries first.

I don't see how likely that is, given the word is Ireland is still not down with the Treaty, even after a little extra time to think about it.

Me, I think it's a brilliant idea to scrap the Lisbon referendum idea. All that was doing was telling moderate voters that the Conservatives were still a bunch of Eurosceptics. And the fear of that extremism goes along with what Labour and the LibDems have been saying, that the Tories are really much more conservative than everyone thinks - think Thatcher-years conservative.

I absolutely couldn't agree with this more. I am a Conservative, but I can't garner sympathy for the view that the EU isn't a good thing for Britain. Or that it needs to be stopped, because it's taking too much power away from the UK to govern itself.

No comments: